Popular Posts

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Let's Talk Wholesale

Let me begin with this disclaimer: I have never sold wholesale. I have been contacted about wholesale and have tossed around the idea, but don't know enough to commit. I've also noticed some of the most oft-asked questions in the Etsy forums are about selling wholesale. Do you wholesale? Wholesale pricing? Wholesale terms? Finding wholesale buyers? So, okay, let's talk wholesale.

Considering Wholesale?
If you are considering selling wholesale, you need to first read this article by Barbara Brabec (author of several small-business books, including "Creative Cash," Handmade for Profit" and "The Crafts Business Answer Book.") Okay, so go read it. But then come back. We're not finished talking.

Is Wholesale Right For You?
Well of course it is. Volume selling, guaranteed pay. What's not to like about that? Well, sounds good enough, but let's think about it.

-Can you handle the volume of business? Can you realistically produce 30 scutterdoodles in a short period of time?
-Are you willing to drop all else to produce those 30 scutterdoodles? That means, are you willing to take the focus off your online shop while you produce scutterdoodles for one shop (ie, one customer)?
-Is it really worth your time to sell 30 scutterdoodles at wholesale prices when you can wait it out online and sell those same 30 scutterdoodles at retail?
-Are you going to get really, really antsy, bored and uninspired making the same 10 scutterdoodles over and over and over and over, again and again and again and again. And if so, is your workmanship going to suffer?
Hmmm... I don't know, but all valid questions to think about. And some of them can only be answered with more information. So stop back by tomorrow and we will talk about that all important topic of Wholesale Pricing. See you then.

3 comments:

Sherry said...

I've found that wholesale is an important part of my business. I make sure that I only wholesale some of the things in my line, the ones that I can produce faster.

On etsy, I have a wholesale offer listed in my profile and have gotten a small amount of business from there.

I always set a 10 piece minimum for new clients and get 100% of the payment before I ship.

I thought it was an interesting article.

kathijane said...

Thanks Sherry!

Gracie Bird said...

You bring up some interesting points, kathijane. Wholesale probably isn't for me.

Clicky Web Analytics
If you've never seen these Jeff Dunham videos, you have to watch them! So funny, although, oops, not always politically correct! But I make no apologies. I think he is hilarious!